Skip to main content

Skyrim

Out of all the games I was anticipating in 2011, The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim  (Kelle: Keizaal in the Dragon tounge) was strangely not one of them.This was because I hated Oblivion and expected Skyrim to be the same.



 I was very,very wrong. There were actually only two reasons I hated Oblivion, but they deterred me from actually attempting to finish the game.Reason one was that the inventory used illogical little icons and was as intuitive as Quantum mechanics(I to this day don't know how to drop an item in Oblivion) .Reason two was aesthetics,the people are the ugliest collection of creatures ive seen in a game,and thats just the humans... And then theres the water,lets just say it filled my head with strange thoughts of water coolers in the Bethesda office being filled with a strange matte blue liquid.

In Skyrim they fixed it all ,everything is beautiful ,and finally someone got it into thier head that words are alot more intuitive than silly little pictures (they even tell you how to drop stuff in the inventory menu).I am a sucker for lore and there is plenty of it in this game,I got so immersed in the world of Skyrim I found myself reading online about the dragon language used in the game.Sad to say that the made up language is not a full language and only consists of the few hundred words needed by Bethesda to produce the game so there will never be nerds speaking fluent Dragon as there are speaking Klingon.(hint hint Bethesda)

After completing the questline twice I decided to do some cheating,this proved a lot of online chatter about the game to be false.My uber character at level 81(highest) with all skills at 100 and all perks
only dissapeared for around two seconds when suddenly changing to sneak in the middle of combat and I was not able to pickpocket clothes off people without them noticing.What is notable though is that in combat this fully leveled character could probably take on all nine devines at once and win(yes nine ,not 8 you thalmor elf!).

There are tonns of quests to do in Skyrim ,alot of which have different ways to approach them and apparently they just keep generating until Alduin eats this world,but after a while you will notice they will become repetitive.Once you have reached that point you have two options,read all the interesting books scattered throughout the lands ,or head down to the nexus and pick up some mods,the selection of mods is already large and impressive, and keep in mind that the Creation kit hasent even been released to the public yet.

Personally ,I enjoyed this game more than any other game I played this year,its completely immersive and I can't wait for the DLC because I actually feel bad getting bored with it.Well done Bethesda.

As the dragons say: Brit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Setting up Qt Creator for assembly

After fiddling with inline asssembly (not very successfully) ,I recently decided to try writing proper assembly and compiling with NASM in Linux. After writing a hello world using gedit and having a terminal open for compiling,linking and running I had a thought.,there has to be a better way to do this. So I tried Qt Creator ,because I know it's easy to add custom build and run commands,and what do you know? I got it to work. Here's how,my screenshots and assembly code are in Linux but the set up should be the same regardless of the operating system,if you are not using Linux then just use the same commands you use to assemble in your operating system. First off ,create a new console application: I named mine ASM Rename the main.cpp to main.asm and delete all the text inside.then insert some assembly: Now open up the “Project” tab and edit the build settings,remove the current build and clean steps and remove the “-build-desktop” from the en

Using delegates in Objective-C

Why use delegation? Well when writing Objective-C programs in Xcode we are encouraged to use the MVC(Model View Controller) structure.In MVC a model cannot send messages directly to a specific controller.This can become a problem if data in your model changes independantly and you need to update this information in your view via the controller(The model must never communicate directly with the view).This is where a delegate comes in,it allows messages to be sent from the model to a controller that is not specified in the model but is rather specified by the controller,in other words the controller specifies itself. If you dont really understand what im talking about so far ,don't worry.I didn't understand delegates either until I needed one,but hopefully by the end of this tutorial you will understand not only how to use a delegate ,but the reason you would want to use one. Program breakdown For this tutorial we will write a program that has a model that will change an

Software Developers Experience building a robot Part 2(Tank treads and blue smoke)

Tanked As I mentioned in  part 1 , I had drawn the conclusion that legs were not what I wanted and that tank treads are probably the most overkill for weight bearing. So , I ordered a Rover 5 base. Rover 5 robot base Unforeseen requirements When the Rover base arrived I opened the box to discover something I had completely overlooked; I didn't have a motor controller. With no clue of what an H-Bridge was and a new found determination I decided to build my own motor controller using about 6 relays. It was finally time to get serious about soldering on those proto-boards. I used a breadboard to prototype a system that used 6 relays and 4 transistors. You could hear the loud clickity clack of the relays as the direction changed but I was pretty proud of my ingenuity. It was time to solder! This was the most intricate soldering task I had ever undertaken and it really showed that I'm more of a software kind of guy. I perceived it to be the longest time I have eve