Skip to main content

Mountain Lion's hidden feature , weeding out bad journalism.

Like normal , when something new comes out that I want , I read up about it (a lot) and the release of Mountain Lion was no different. However I was shocked to see how heavily opinionated and therefore unprofessional a lot of the reviews are , the particular one that shocked me was the review by Gizmodo .

It's not exactly a new thing for journalists to be completely biased,sensationalist scoundrels but to me , this kind of thing is crazy for a tech review. 

The general consensus is that you should give your opinion but not let it set the tone for your entire review and keep in mind that different users have different preferences. A key example of this idea being violated is the general opinion from journalists that the textured OSX apps like iCal(now Calender) , Notes,Reminders etc Look stupid and gimmicky. I on the other hand , like the look of the textured apps, so when I read a review that insults them ,I feel like the writer is insulting my preferences .

Through the array of reviews I have read it seems quite apparent that each reviewer thinks that the Operating System must be designed to fit all of their personal preferences by default as if they are the only customer Apple has ever valued. 

The Gizmodo Mountain Lion review is filled with heavily negatively focused drivel and usage of unprofessional phrases such as "a garish clusterf**k of onscreen gadgets" that to me , puts the whole of Gizmodo in a bad light. I have seen more professionalism In a dog urinating on a pole.

This article isn't the only offender , but it was the straw that broke the camels back for me , never have I seen such blatant pushing of opinion in tech reviews as I did with the release of Mountain Lion. I seriously hope something is done about this before tech blogs become as one sided as the news.

Popular posts from this blog

Controlling an LED on an Arduino over HTTP

Prerequisites
You will need node.js and npm installed , and should have at least some knowledge when it comes to node, if you do not , I suggest you try some example code in node before diving into controlling hardware with it. You must have the Arduino IDE installed on your machineYou must know how to get an LED working on pin 13 of an Arduino
Set up the Arduino
Wire up an LED to the Arduino on pin 13 and plug it into your development machine. Now we need to get it ready to talk to johnny-five. To do this simply follow the instructions under johnny-five's readme
Set up the project 

Create a folder on your development machine for the project , in this folder create the server.js and index.html files. Copy the code from the files in this gist to the respective files.

Loading ....
We aren't done yet , we need johnny-five and the narf for this to work. In your project directory run the following command:

npm install narf johnny-five

If that succeeded we now have the johnny-five libra…

Half-Life 2 for OSX , how well does it run?

Earlier this week Valve advertised Half-Life 2 for the Mac with the best advert I have ever seen. They took the old 1984 Mac advert and re-created it using the source engine and characters from the game. As if the awesome(albeit 35 second) entertainment wasn't enough they offered the game at $3.40 for a limited period. It was not shortly afterwards that I made my first ever purchase on Steam(its kind of strange buying a game and not getting a box with it).




The game purchase actually allows you to download the OSX or Windows version of the game , depending on the platform you are logged in to .This is great , because I have a PC with some decent gaming power and my Mac Mini (which I naturally wanted to test on) and wow ,the OSX version runs pretty darn well,especially considering that my mac mini is running only an intel HD3000.



Performance
I was surprised how well the game performed on high settings , the gameplay was smooth with the default high settings , reaching frame-rates up …

Running Node.js alongside IIS on Windows

Most of the time when you are looking for a way to run Node.js as a production server on Windows you will just run into IISNode , now IISNode is a great thing ,but I'm a fan of choice and most importantly , not a fan of XML web config files.

I wanted to run my node server on what ever port I wished,or maybe even a different server and just have IIS reroute the traffic from a particular URL to the node process(so a proxy), this allows you to still manage your own load balancing and possibly scale up from that point without having to bother with IIS again.

So first things first you will want to download and install the URL Rewrite and ARR modules for IIS

ARR (Application Request Routing)URL Rewrite Once thats done lets crack open IIS and open up Application Request Routing, then navigate to Server Proxy Settings and Check Enable Proxy and Apply.







Now lets create an an application on our Default Website that will link our url to the node process, here im directing it to an empty direc…